There are 4 words in Greek for the word “love” in English. Last week we talked about affection and this week we are talking about friendship.
1. C.S. Lewis writes about friendship when he says, “few value it because few experience it” (The Four Loves, p 88). Take turns expressing what it mean to you to enjoy friendship with another person.
2. Do you agree with C.S. Lewis that few experience true friendship? Why or why not?
3. David and Jonathan have one of the best-documented friendships in the Bible. 2 Samuel 18:1-5 After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself… And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt. What does David and Jonathan teach us about being a good friend?
4. Do you enjoy friendship as a married couple? What can you do to increase the friendship factor in your marriage?
5. Do you have quality friendships outside of your family? Take turns describing who your closes friends and why you consider them close friends?